Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gut Reaction to "Sportka" Video

When I first saw the Sportka video, I thought it was just a normal car commercial that one would see on TV. Once I saw the cat walk on screen, I figured something cute would happen; I have cats of my own so I have a personal connection to them. To my surprise, the cat was decapitated by the car's sunroof. My first reaction was "How can this be a successful advertisement?" What about the animal activists? Isn't this commercial controversial in so many ways? It obviously is using some rhetorical strategy for its purpose, or else it would not be a useful advertisement. The car is said to be "Ka's evil twin," so perhaps the other model of the car exists that is maybe outdated or not as good. The action of the cat's head falling off could illustrate how "mean" the new model is, appealing to pathos. Maybe the audience feels the car is "dangerous." The video also appeals to the other side of pathos: seeing the cat get its head chopped off is disturbing and shocking, especially to someone who has a cat as a pet. Word could get out about how crazy the commercial is, in turn spreading the word of the new car to get people to consider buying it. Whatever the case may be, the commercial will stick in someone's mind, whether to encourage purchasing the car or to go about protesting against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.